Sunday, October 4, 2015

General Conference, October 2 and 3, 2015

Yesterday during Conference, I was thinking about when Theron and Kendall were Tabernacle Ushers and had to be at the Tabernacle early in the morning and stay until at least an hour past the afternoon session.  Because he was not home during conference, I would take the kids down to Temple Square between the morning and afternoon session with a picnic lunch.  We would spread our blanket out on the Tabernacle lawn and enjoy our lunch.  Theron would have a little time before they started seating people so he would take the kids into the Tabernacle and show them the choir seats, where the prophet sits, the cameras and all sorts of things that other kids never get to see. When the afternoon session started, we would listen to the first couple of talks and the kids were young so that was about all they could endure.  I enjoyed these years of attending conference on a blanket on the Tabernacle lawn.

Being with the missionaries, brought a joy for this General Conference.  Having a few of our elders over Saturday morning was a big plus, also.  We have BYUTV at the house so we watch at home.  For us, the morning session began at 5:00 a.m., the afternoon session at 9:00 a.m. and Priesthood was at 1:00 p.m.  Each talk touched my heart and had a special message that I would like to share in this blog.

My intent is for my family and friends who read this blog to know of my testimony of Jesus Christ as our Savior and Redeemer, my appreciation for his atoning sacrifice and my firm belief that the prophets of today are leading us and guiding us through these latter days.  Each talk seemed to confirm that I need to strengthen my discipleship and relationship with the Holy Ghost.

President Uchtdorf expresses things so plainly.  I loved this: Exaltation is our goal, discipleship is our journey.    I need to remember where the center of the gospel is and where my gospel center should be as described in Elder Maynes' story of the potter's wheel.

I am going to pray as Elder Lawrence's prompted and ask: 'What is keeping me from progression? What lack I yet?'  This leads to developing the attributes about light that President Monson challenged us to obtain.

Elder Holland and Elder Nelson both gave wonderful talks on mothers and women.  I thought much about our girls.  I'm so proud of Adrian for desiring to be a mother above all other things.  I'm delighted to have two wonderful daughter's-in-law who are special mothers.  Brittney does such great activities and encourages their children and in talking with Melanee, she is so looking forward to motherhood and is giving up a very good job to take on a great job of raising three children at one time.  These talks were for them!  Elder Foster's comment, 'don't let society and social media change the family to the image of the world.'  Stand strong my children.

I'm accepting Elder Durrant's challenge to 'ponderize'.  I have a difficult time memorizing but I intend on taking this challenge to not only improve my mind, but improve my understanding and testimony.

As always, I loved Elder Bednar's talk.  This one was so personal for him and it is another goal of mine to read the last two conference talks of each of the six apostles he mentioned to learn what they so wisely knew before they left us.  As he said quoting Elder Hales, 'When you cannot do what you have always done, you do the things that are most important.'

This blog post is my attempt to give advice, remember that I know these things, and improve my understanding and testimony of the gospel.  These are challenging times, stay strong and don't lose your testimonies to the wiles and whims of the world.  Stay the course.  As Sister Marriott said, "It will all work out."
Love Mom





No comments:

Post a Comment